As per our bonus episode, here’s Tom’s random mutation table, untouched!
After Hours Bonus Episode: Tom’s Random Mutation Tables
Based on our last few episodes and your comments, I asked Tom to write up a random mutation table and he did! Tom, Shaun, and I go through the tables and discuss random tables in RPGs in general.
Song: A Strange New Feel by New Gaia
After Hours: Tortured Earth – Mountains of Mist and Mystery
We continue on our exploration of Tortured Earth by digging through its first officially published adventure, the Mountains of Mist and Mystery. It has magic, spaceships, bandits, and talking spiders that hate the undead. What more could you ask for? Can Aaron, Tom, Shaun, and I survive?
RPPR Illustrated: Monsters and Other Childish Things: The Legacy of NIMH
A group of heroic mice does battle with a giant war machine in Aaron’s classic one shot, The Legacy of NIMH. If you haven’t listened to the episode yet, you’re missing out on one of our best games!
PAX South 2020 – The Xbone Arcade Follies – Part 1
At PAX South this year, we tried out a bunch of weird xbox indie games, recorded them along with our banter. We have weird fighting games, adventure games and snip snip. Enjoy!
After Hours: Tremors and Tortured Earth
I recently watched Tremors on Netflix and wanted to discuss its greatness for a bit before we dived into Tortured Earth. Aaron, Tom, Shaun, and I comb through this 364 page hardcover Breen Playing Game. Why do I say that? It radiates a very Neil Breen level of self awareness. Find out what kinds of mutations we roll on their Abhorrence table!
RPPR Illustrated: The Best of Shaun
Shaun is always fun in a game and Patsy has captured many memorable moments.
Across the top, left to right:
- Bloodied but unrepentant atop his battlements, Nagalisitu’s Maximilian Klingzor tells Daryl The Squinty-Eyed exactly what he thinks of him;
- From The Grapevine campaign, the Taker once known as The Red Queen talks business over tea with the refined Mister Pennyworth;
- Cutty of Fallen Flag loudly objects, not for the last time, to a most unusual deer.
Along the bottom, left to right:
- The ruthless sicario Klaus Jimenez stalks Tcho-Tcho through a cannabis growhouse in God’s Breath;
- The titular ghost-cowboy of Cottonwood overseeing his many canine servants in the streets of Paige, Texas;
- The enigmatic matriarch Oma squirrels away some of her many secrets in the similarly dense and ambitious mystery game, The Weight Of Her Shadow,
- in Gate 9, Ivan Delouis visits his stable of Golden-Age, golden-years supervillains inside their pocket-dimension retirement community.
After Hours: PAX South 2020 Wrap Up
We had a blast at PAX South this year and we have a lot of games to talk about! We’re joined by friend of the podcast Chris Farmer and Kyle and Kat Carty of Best Pal Brigade (plus Tom and Aaron). Some of the games we mention:
- Wrath: Aeon of Ruins
- Artful Escape
- Tortured Earth
- Just Shapes and Beats
- Greak: Memories of Azur
- Fire Tower
- Dragon Marked for Death
Be sure to check out Best Pal Brigade! They do good work.
Read Chris Farmer’s new blog, Operation: Kill the Pac Man! It’s some of the best video game writing I’ve seen in a long time.
After Hours: Gifts for the Gift Throne
As the holiday shopping season is upon us, I have come up with an idea for a new game: a miniatures skirmish game about families fighting each other for the best presents at big box stores and online retailer warehouses. We also review:
- Deep Freeze, an adventure from Dungeon #83
- Time and Time Again
- Maximum Metal – a Cyberpunk 2020 supplement
- A brief survey of the Imperial Guard codex (3E)
Song: Christmas Catalog by 幽霊, T O G E T H E R!
Click here to download the episode. (This episode was posted in December 2017. I forgot to post it to this site until now. Sorry!)
After Hours: Miscibility Startup
What would a startup company look like in a D&D type world? There’s lots of gold just waiting to be invested (dragons and retired adventurers gotta do something those massive treasure hoards). Well, obviously it would involve innovations in potions and other magical items. Perhaps like Juicero, but for potions? Aaron, Dan, Shaun, Tom, and I discuss our ideas for magical startup companies and review the following:
- Pegasus magazine issue 5
- Magebird Quest from Judge’s Guild
- Time and Time Again
We also reference Hot Takes on Ice from the Mixed Six and this video analysis of a Juicero machine.
Song: Business 2 Business by Venture Capital
Click here to download the episode. (This is episode 34, posted in November 2017. I forgot to post the episode earlier. Sorry!)