We continue on our exploration of Tortured Earth by digging through its first officially published adventure, the Mountains of Mist and Mystery. It has magic, spaceships, bandits, and talking spiders that hate the undead. What more could you ask for? Can Aaron, Tom, Shaun, and I survive?
At PAX South this year, we tried out a bunch of weird xbox indie games, recorded them along with our banter. We have weird fighting games, adventure games and snip snip. Enjoy!
I recently watched Tremors on Netflix and wanted to discuss its greatness for a bit before we dived into Tortured Earth. Aaron, Tom, Shaun, and I comb through this 364 page hardcover Breen Playing Game. Why do I say that? It radiates a very Neil Breen level of self awareness. Find out what kinds of mutations we roll on their Abhorrence table!
Shaun is always fun in a game and Patsy has captured many memorable moments.
Across the top, left to right:
- Bloodied but unrepentant atop his battlements, Nagalisitu’s Maximilian Klingzor tells Daryl The Squinty-Eyed exactly what he thinks of him;
- From The Grapevine campaign, the Taker once known as The Red Queen talks business over tea with the refined Mister Pennyworth;
- Cutty of Fallen Flag loudly objects, not for the last time, to a most unusual deer.
Along the bottom, left to right:
- The ruthless sicario Klaus Jimenez stalks Tcho-Tcho through a cannabis growhouse in God’s Breath;
- The titular ghost-cowboy of Cottonwood overseeing his many canine servants in the streets of Paige, Texas;
- The enigmatic matriarch Oma squirrels away some of her many secrets in the similarly dense and ambitious mystery game, The Weight Of Her Shadow,
- in Gate 9, Ivan Delouis visits his stable of Golden-Age, golden-years supervillains inside their pocket-dimension retirement community.
We had a blast at PAX South this year and we have a lot of games to talk about! We’re joined by friend of the podcast Chris Farmer and Kyle and Kat Carty of Best Pal Brigade (plus Tom and Aaron). Some of the games we mention:
- Wrath: Aeon of Ruins
- Artful Escape
- Tortured Earth
- Just Shapes and Beats
- Greak: Memories of Azur
- Fire Tower
- Dragon Marked for Death
Be sure to check out Best Pal Brigade! They do good work.
Read Chris Farmer’s new blog, Operation: Kill the Pac Man! It’s some of the best video game writing I’ve seen in a long time.
As the holiday shopping season is upon us, I have come up with an idea for a new game: a miniatures skirmish game about families fighting each other for the best presents at big box stores and online retailer warehouses. We also review:
- Deep Freeze, an adventure from Dungeon #83
- Time and Time Again
- Maximum Metal – a Cyberpunk 2020 supplement
- A brief survey of the Imperial Guard codex (3E)
Click here to download the episode. (This episode was posted in December 2017. I forgot to post it to this site until now. Sorry!)
What would a startup company look like in a D&D type world? There’s lots of gold just waiting to be invested (dragons and retired adventurers gotta do something those massive treasure hoards). Well, obviously it would involve innovations in potions and other magical items. Perhaps like Juicero, but for potions? Aaron, Dan, Shaun, Tom, and I discuss our ideas for magical startup companies and review the following:
- Pegasus magazine issue 5
- Magebird Quest from Judge’s Guild
- Time and Time Again
Click here to download the episode. (This is episode 34, posted in November 2017. I forgot to post the episode earlier. Sorry!)
Jason and Renee have been a power couple of RPPR so we’re celebrating their games with a montage of some of their best moments!
Top row, left to right, we have Langdon Skarl from Nagalisitu (favored enemy: other PC’s nemeses) wielding his signature weapon; Samuel Morse and Miss Beatrice Lemone of The Mystery of Brighton Lodge, uncovering secrets and lies; Ethel Voltaire and VAL-1138 of Abundance, showcasing very different reactions to a fleeing suspect; a commemorative photo of Lala Lafleur and Dr. Anthony Porter of Midnight Sub Rosa, proudly watching a mansion burn down.
Bottom row, left to right, we have the merry thrill-seekers of GHOST PUNCHERS– Hot-pink Floyd in the Ouija halfpipe, India Jones coming to a very anticlimactic end, Moe Hogan conducting an unorthodox interview, and Bonesaw juicing up with some haunted whey powder; The heretic-hunting team of Battle Sister Henna Orton and Battle-brother Trojohn from Blessings Unheralded; and finally the unflappable housekeeper Hobson and the traumatised Chauffeur Francis of The Halloween Party, enjoying another normal day serving the Blackwood family.
Recently, a friend of the podcast mailed me a stack of Rolemaster books so for the next few episodes we will be exploring the depths of critical hit tables, odd statblocks and expanded encounter tables on After Hours. First off is Creatures and Treasures, an archive of both monsters and magic items. Aaron, Tom, and I find some real jewels in these two books. Enjoy!