Caleb and I discuss traps, particularly ones from Grimtooth’s Traps Too. Why do dungeons in fantasy RPGs often have so many and so impractical traps? The implications of obsessive trap builders are fascinating. We also review many of the traps from the book.
Caleb is often memorable in the games he plays in and Patsy has chosen some of Caleb’s best scenes here!
Top row, left to right:
- James Arnold, Southern dilettante, asking for a weapon upgrade in Midnight Sub Rosa;
- Haru Kanno of Tribes Of Tokyo, outlining the infamous OPERATION BLACK DOLPHIN;
- Paranoid dream-traveller Omri guest starring in Masks Of Nyarlathotep;
- Trey from Gate 9, refusing the Call To Adventure;
- Gaspar DeCena of Cottonwood, fighting corruption with corruption.
Bottom row, left to right:
- In Lord Of The Peaks, the expedition is nearly doomed by the terrible luck of their demolitions expert;
- Half-off of Fallen Flag walks out into the wastes one last time with a head full of ghosts and a belt full of grenades;
- Operation Opal Elk comes to a fiery end as the agents fail to store their nail bombs sufficiently far away from their flamethrower.
Art by Patsy McDowell
In 1997, John Woo, Nicolas Cage, and John Travolta created a unique cinematic experience called Face/Off. It’s on Netflix and we haven’t done a Nic Cage movie yet, so I thought we should dive into it. A full roundtable of Aaron, Bridget, Richard, Caleb, and I discuss how to gameify some of the elements in the movie. The games we come up with may surprise you!
Sci-fi films can be about big ideas, but sometimes that isn’t enough. Infini tries to be about some big ideas but the execution leaves much to be desired. Bridget, Caleb, Fae, Thad, and I discuss the movie and our ideas for mining gaming fodder out of it. Things like random tables for doing stupid things in space, to mini games about pretending to be human even when you’re secretly a goo alien!
Chronicles of the Ghostly Tribe is a weird movie. It is ostensibly a Chinese summer blockbuster sci-fi action movie, but it’s more like 3 or 4 movies in one. There’s aliens, kaiju, the Chinese Red Army’s secret archeological unit, an Elvis impersonator who sings about Genghis Khan, dramatic shifts in tone, and undead werewolves (I think).
The Razing of Redshore, an adventure in Dungeon #92
Time and Time Again
Street Fighter: Contenders
Song: Dungeons and Flagons by Magma Action
After watching the first episode of American Gods, I wondered what other gods could be lurking in America. Caleb, Tom, and I discuss that and I review a very complex 3E module from Necromancer Games called Chaos Rising. It’s about a quest to retrieve an amulet that houses the soul of the Faceless Lord. In order to get it, the heroes must find and carry a 500 pound platinum anvil that radiates anti-magic through 2 nested demi planes. Then it gets weird. Tom also reviews After The Bomb: England.
Grimdark is an important characteristic of many RPGs, comics, movies, and video games these days. But what IS grimdark? How do you define it? Can you measure it? Caleb, Dan, Tom, and I got together to discuss this very important topic. Also, a listener sent me a copy of Monte Cook’s World of Darkness, so I just HAD to review it. It’s, uh, a bit of a doozy. Tom tries to review Project Twilight from the old World of Darkness as well.
After the release of the Bright teaser trailer, it has become clear to us that Netflix is buying whatever geeky/RPG material they can find. So I convened a round table of the RPPR cast (Caleb, Dan, Tom, and Shaun) to figure out some of the best pitches we could share with Netflix. Find out the secret behind the crying child in a barrel!
Titles reviewed or mentioned:
- Rolemaster: Castles and Ruins
- Warmachine: The Quasi-Historical Retro Sci-Fi RPG
- WWE: Know Your Role d20 RPG
- Chrome Book 4
- Cyberspace: Death Game 2090
- Arcana Evolved
Jason came down to Springfield during the Christmas holiday season and I managed to run a one shot of Cthulhu Dark for him and some other RPPR cast members. I’m not sure if I’ll post this to the main feed but as a special reward for backers, I’m posting it now just for you!