Chronicles of the Ghostly Tribe is a weird movie. It is ostensibly a Chinese summer blockbuster sci-fi action movie, but it’s more like 3 or 4 movies in one. There’s aliens, kaiju, the Chinese Red Army’s secret archeological unit, an Elvis impersonator who sings about Genghis Khan, dramatic shifts in tone, and undead werewolves (I think).
The Razing of Redshore, an adventure in Dungeon #92
Time and Time Again
Street Fighter: Contenders
Song: Dungeons and Flagons by Magma Action
After watching the first episode of American Gods, I wondered what other gods could be lurking in America. Caleb, Tom, and I discuss that and I review a very complex 3E module from Necromancer Games called Chaos Rising. It’s about a quest to retrieve an amulet that houses the soul of the Faceless Lord. In order to get it, the heroes must find and carry a 500 pound platinum anvil that radiates anti-magic through 2 nested demi planes. Then it gets weird. Tom also reviews After The Bomb: England.
Grimdark is an important characteristic of many RPGs, comics, movies, and video games these days. But what IS grimdark? How do you define it? Can you measure it? Caleb, Dan, Tom, and I got together to discuss this very important topic. Also, a listener sent me a copy of Monte Cook’s World of Darkness, so I just HAD to review it. It’s, uh, a bit of a doozy. Tom tries to review Project Twilight from the old World of Darkness as well.
After the release of the Bright teaser trailer, it has become clear to us that Netflix is buying whatever geeky/RPG material they can find. So I convened a round table of the RPPR cast (Caleb, Dan, Tom, and Shaun) to figure out some of the best pitches we could share with Netflix. Find out the secret behind the crying child in a barrel!
Titles reviewed or mentioned:
- Rolemaster: Castles and Ruins
- Warmachine: The Quasi-Historical Retro Sci-Fi RPG
- WWE: Know Your Role d20 RPG
- Chrome Book 4
- Cyberspace: Death Game 2090
- Arcana Evolved
Jason came down to Springfield during the Christmas holiday season and I managed to run a one shot of Cthulhu Dark for him and some other RPPR cast members. I’m not sure if I’ll post this to the main feed but as a special reward for backers, I’m posting it now just for you!
- CyberRogues: A supplement from our favorite 1980s cyberpunk RPG, Cyberspace! WHY IS THERE A YETI IN THIS BOOK?
- ApoKERMIS Now! A Ghostbusters International adventure about stopping frat parties…OF THE DAMNED.
- Abyss: Role play as demons in hell. It turns out that it’s a lot like D&D.
When I went on vacation last month, I posted a bonus actual play session featuring Caleb, Aaron, myself and a new player named Holly. The game was run by a friend of the podcast, Bas and it was a great session.
- Hellsgate, a Dark Conspiracy adventure for astronauts, psychics, and cyborg escapees.
- Broncosaurus Rex: Cretasus Adventure Guide, where Confederates enslave and eat intelligent dinosaurs.
- Dawn of DNA: A Villains and Vigilantes adventure involving a sperm bank robbery.
- Spelljammer: Concordance of Arcane Space – learn about how incredibly flammable outer space is in D&D.
We also discuss how movies are really other movies, like how Road House is really a retelling of the Wicker Man. Sean Bean is actually a character trapped in Stay Tuned, which explains why he gets killed so often.
We have a special actual play that will NEVER be posted on the podcast. This is Shaun’s first time running a game for the RPPR group! Using Slasher Flick, he chose a 1980s heavy metal theme for the game. It was certainly an enjoyable game but I decided to make this a special reward for higher tier Patreon backers. Enjoy!